Joiner attacked by David Moyes thought he was going to die

The joiner allegedly attacked by David Moyes has revealed he thought he was going to die at the hands of the ex Manchester United boss.

“He grabbed me around the neck and struck me in the back of the head. I ended up face down on the floor,” Gillibrandtold The Sun.

“I felt I was going to die. There were tables flying everywhere and glass all over the place.”

Mr Gillibrand, a 23-year-old joiner, said he was treated for concussion and a bloody nose in hospital.

Last night police confirmed they had launched an investigation and sources said they were set to speak to the former Premier League manager.

A spokesman for Lancashire Police said: “Officers attended the bar at about 10pm on Wednesday and it was reported that a 23-year-old local man had been assaulted by a 51-year-old man. He did not require hospital treatment.

“Inquiries are ongoing and we are speaking to a number of people to try to establish the circumstances.

“There are a number of differing accounts which we need to work through to try to establish exactly what has happened. No one has been arrested at this stage.”

The incident happened at around 10pm on Wednesday after Moyes and friends – including Derek Shaw, former chairman at Preston North End, one of Moyes’ previous clubs – had dined at Piccolino’s in Clitheroe, Lancashire, before going to the nearby Emporium wine bar.


The alleged incident is said to have taken place at the Emporium in Clitheroe, Lancashire


Reportedly a group standing outside the bar began making abusive remarks when they saw Moyes, who was sacked as United manager last month after less than a year in charge.

A witness said: “Moyes started to head in with his mates but he was being barracked by drinkers outside.

“He was getting a bit of lip from a couple of blokes and then one guy, who was a bit drunk, said something about him being s*** and having never won anything.

“Moyes kept his head down and carried on walking towards the door with his friends and everyone thought he was just ignoring the banter. But then stopped, turned on his heels and quickly marched back.”

The man, who witnessed the end of the incident said: “Moyes had completely lost it and was bright purple in the face and quite clearly out of control.

“No one could quite believe what had happened. We were stunned. He’s obviously had enough of all the abuse he’s been getting after his miserable season.”