Olympian Oscar Pistorius granted bail

Oscar Pistorius has been granted bail by a court in South Africa after spending a week in custody charged with murdering his girlfriend, Reeva Steenkamp.

Cheers erupted as Chief Magistrate Desmond Nair read out his decision, which came at the end of a two-hour statement to the highly-charged courtroom.

Pistorius burst into tears on hearing the verdict, and had been crying quietly throughout the hearing.

His family couldn’t contain their relief shouting “yes!” upon hearing the Magistrates decision.

Other member of the family were crying as they gathered together in a little huddle, hugging each other, sobbing and holding hands.

The Olympic star is accused of shooting his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp dead, and prosecutors had warned that the star has the “money, means and motive” to flee South Africa if he is given bail.

But the judge said he did not believe Pistorius to be a “flight risk”, or “pose a danger to society”.

He said Pistorius had “reached out” in his affidavit describing what had happened, and – pausing before he delivered his final decision to the packed courtroom – said: “I come to the conclusion that the accused has made a case to be released on bail.”

It is unclear when he will be released from custody.

He was released on a bond of one million rand (£73,000), and will be required to live at an undisclosed address, hand in his passport, and regularly report to a local police station.

He is also banned from drinking alcohol, must hand over his firearms, and stay away from the estate where he lived.

The case has been postponed until June 4.

His uncle Arnold said after the decision: “Although we are obviously relieved that Oscar has been granted bail, this is still a very sad time for the family of Reeva and for us.

“We are grateful that the magistrate recognised the validity and strength of our application.

“As the family, we are convinced that Oscar’s version of what happened on that terrible night will prove to be true.”

A representative of the state said the investigation was ongoing.

More follows…