Prince Top Story

Prince died of an accidental opioid overdose


Prince died of an accidental opioid overdose, an official inquest by the Midwest Medical Examiner’s Office has determined.

A toxicology report released publicly by the office on Thursday said that Prince succumbed after injecting himself with a deadly amount of the synthetic opiate fentanyl.

Fentanyl is often used in the treatment of severe pain – it’s particularly prescribed by physicians for patients undergoing surgery.

Prince was found unconscious at Paisley Park near Minneapolis and later passed away on Thursday, April 21.